Inclusion Representative Board Member
Inclusion Representative Board Member
9th June 2022
Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
We are seeking to appoint a new representative from the Voluntary, Community & Social Enterprise Sectors to ensure that the views of civil society continue to be reflected within the LEP’s decision making.
The successful candidate must be a representative who is committed to champion and work for the economic prosperity of the D2N2 region. This appointment provides a unique, challenging and rewarding opportunity. You should be an experienced leader, a clear strategic thinker and an articulate speaker. The successful candidate must be passionate about supporting enterprise, skills development, social inclusion and sustainable economic growth and be clear about how the civil society role can contribute and add value.
Key Tasks / Responsibilities
As a board member, you will be expected to:
- Provide strong, strategic leadership, and motivate and influence key decision makers to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Champion the inclusion agenda at Board level and support the advisory board inclusion representatives;
- Support the development of the Board and the Partnership specially to build a sound knowledge of VCSE needs and opportunities.
- Gather, understand and represent the views of the VCSE sector in the D2N2 region.
- Be an advocate and champion for D2N2 to represent the LEP and promote the interests of the area at national and international levels, including working with other LEPs.
- Think creatively, resolve conflicts and build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Attend quarterly meetings of the LEP Board
- Chair quarterly meetings of the Inclusion Advisory Group
As a Board member you can expect to spend up to 2 days pcm on LEP business. However, candidates should be aware that workload often comes in peaks and troughs and candidates may need to be flexible (within reasonable parameters) to manage such variation.
This role is for 2 years and will then be subject to re-advertisement.
- At least 2 years experience working (paid or unpaid) in a senior & strategic position in the Voluntary, Community or Social Enterprise Sector
- At least 2 years experience of partnership working (strategic and operational)
- Governance of strategic investment funding
- Demonstrable experience of representation and strategic influence
Skills and attitudes required
- Commitment to operate in an open and accountable manner, and feedback effectively to specialist networks and the wider Third Sector across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
- Commitment to attend relevant meetings
- Respect for views that differ from or conflict with personal viewpoint
- Ability to gather, understand and represent the views of VCOs or specialist networks and offer a perspective on behalf of that group
- Ability to balance the views of a specialist network against the needs of wider civil society across both Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
- A commitment to personal development
- An understanding of the contribution of civil society to the growth agenda and in particular how social inclusion relates to local growth
- An understanding of European Funding and in particular the role of the EU Structural & Investment Funds
- An understanding of national, regional and local policies relating to the growth agenda and relevant to this representative role
- A good knowledge of the Third Sector in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, particularly within the relevant specialist networks
It is anticipated that those shortlisted will be invited for discussions with the Chair and members of the D2N2 Nominations and Renumerations Committee.
Applications should quote the reference D2N2 Board Inclusion Application and should include a letter outlining how your experience and networks would benefit the LEP, paying particular attention to the ‘Experience and Attributes’ criteria as outlined above.
All applications will be acknowledged. Please submit your application as follows:
By email (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org
By post marked ‘Strictly Private and Confidential’ to:
Sally Hallam, D2N2 LEP, 8 Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG2 1EP
For any initial enquiries in confidence, please contact D2N2 Chief Executive Officer Will Morlidge on 07879 350140 or email@example.com