D2N2 is the Local Enterprise Partnership for Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire; with a target of creating 55,000 new jobs by 2023, mainly in the private sector. Food and Drink Manufacturing is one of D2N2s 8 priority sectors that shall create significant jobs and growth.
More Information on each of our key sectors can be found on the ‘Key Sectors’ Page of the D2N2 website.
“We are pleased to have launched the D2N2 Food and Drink Manufacturing Sector Strategy and Action Plan at the Food and Drink Forum” says Chairman Peter Richardson on the 19th of November. The Food and Drink Forum were commissioned to produce the plan and following extensive consultation across D2N2 with the farming community, micro brewers, large and smaller food manufacturers, the plan can be found at http://www.d2n2lep.org/FoodandDrink
The key recommendations arising from businesses that the Reference Group will be working on over coming months are:
- the need for investment to improve productivity through environmental efficiencies
- Innovation, knowledge transfer and food specialist mentoring – nationally there are over 1500 new products introduced to the market each quarter! The product LoSalt was created here and local companies are now looking at innovative products as sugar alternatives.
- Areas that are hampering business and where support for the industry is required:
- Need more food grade premises for businesses to expand and grow
- Access to better and superfast broadband and mobile coverage
- Reducing red tape including regulations and simplifying planning processes
- Fair access to grants and business support
- Increasing Skills for young people (graduate recruitment and apprenticeships) and raising skills in the workforce including management & supervisory skills
Left to right – Andrew Collinson – F & D Forum, Oliver Brown – Bluebell Dairy, Peter Knight – Chairman, Pete Robertson – The Flavourbase Sauce Company Limited
Download A Copy of the Plan Here