From 1 January 2022, full customs controls will apply to all goods moving between the EU and Great Britain. If you move goods between the EU and Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), you must register for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) now.
The GVMS system has been designed to enable fast and efficient movement of goods and will be used by many UK ports. From 1 January, if you’re not registered and attempt to move goods through a GVMS port,you won’t be able to:
- board the ferry or shuttle
- cross the EU/GB border
- clear your goods through customs.
Who needs to register?
You need to register for GVMS if you’re a UK or non-UK based haulier.
This includes if you’re:
- an independent driver transporting goods and doing your own customs paperwork
- a company that sub-contracts to pick up goods on behalf of another business
- a logistics business, hired to transport goods and complete customs processes on behalf of another business
- a large retail business, that transports and declares your own goods
Find out what you need to do
Visit gov.uk and follow the step-by-step guide to prepare for import control changes, or prepare for the changes to Rules of Origin.
To check if you need to pre-notify visit
For practical support with exporting your products, contact the Export Support Service.