Last Week, the D2N2 Board spent an evening and morning looking at a number of key issues facing the LEP going forward. It also provided an opportunity for our Board Members to meet informally and develop both insight and confidence of their colleagues and each other.
There were a number of outcomes I wanted to achieve.
- A briefing and discussion of the recently launched D2N2 Growth Hub
- A briefing from me about changes to Staff and the Board in recent weeks over the next few months as we move into programme delivery
- A session about making the most of our Enterprise Zone, particularly in view of the announcement that this has been extended to Derby
- Reflecting on whether we are getting the economic strategy right – making sure that we are focused on a 2050 economy, not a 2010 economy.
- A joint meeting with all Local Authorities to discuss joining up on delivery across the D2 and N2 geographies
It is often difficult to give sufficient time to reflect and plan.
I am currently finalising our business plan for the next 12 months and with very limited resources, making sure we’re doing the right thing is increasingly important. We are often so busy doing that sometimes we forget to check we’re doing the right thing.
Moreover, trust between partners in these complex partnership models is key and can only be done through developing personal relationships. Spending time getting to know each other is important but we rarely have time to do so.
We probably won’t do another away day until next summer and any event is a lot of work from everyone involved. However, it provide time to take stock and time is always our most precious commodity.
I hope that in spending time, we will move forward in 2015 refreshed and energised wit a renewed sense of purpose and trust in colleagues – that sounds like time well spent!
David RalphChief ExecutiveD2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership